A Scrap Yarn Sweater, Luxury Edition

[advertisement: unpaid links]

First, I have to admit I finished this one about a year ago, wore it all winter and forgot to blog about it. Today, I have started to wear it again so I better tell you about it right now.

I decided to knit this sweater as an experiment on how to use up several black sock yarn leftovers from different brands at once. Of course, there were some differences in colour and texture, so I held them together with a neon blue Kidsilk yarn from my stash which I never would have used on its own. The result just looks stunning with the marled effect of the two yarn types together. As a plus, you only feel the softness of the Kidsilk yarn on your skin, there is no itchyness of the sock yarn involved.

The pattern used is Top-Down Top by Anna & Heidi Pickles, a cleverly constructed, batwing sleeved sweater. It is super easy to follow and quick to knit on 5.5 mm needles. It is knit top-down in one piece with minimal finishing. The batwing sleeves end around the elbows and the waistline, respectively, followed by tight ribbing to make it a long-sleeved, hip-length sweater. This makes it very comfortable to wear as you can still fit into a regular coat. Perfect!

The blue yarn, by the way, is Kid Seta by Madil Yarns. In my opinion, the quality of this yarn is outstanding with long fibre lengths and extreme softness. It is a pleasure to knit and wear. I am really sad this yarn is discontinued.

However, this sweater already has become a winter wardrobe favourite. It is lightweight, yet warm and can be styled in a million ways from casual to glamorous. Maybe I should mix up leftover and unloved yarns more often.

Intarsia

[advertisement: unpaid links]

I recently have been interested in intarsia knits, particularly the complex ones featuring a lot of colours or even landscape views. As this technique was quite popular in the 1980s, I am currently looking for some old pattern books to get a deeper understanding of what others already have done. My research so far has led me to Kaffe Fassett (of course), Patricia Roberts and Sweaterscapes. Do you have any other good suggestions?

A Linden Sweater

[advertisement: unpaid links]

The idea for this sweater dates back to last year, when I found some black on black printed leo jersey fabric in my favourite Aachen fabric store. I initially wanted it to become a sweater for a dear friend of mine, so I also bought some pink jersey for the cuffs. Then I waited for the perfect sewing pattern to cross my way. It did not for quite a while.

Now, that I recently tried to organise my fabric stash and stumbled upon the jersey again, I just wanted to sew it right away. My pattern of choice was the Linden Sweater by Grainline Studio as I particularly like the unusual neckline for an otherwise classic sweater. Although I only had my friend’s bra size to calculate her measurements, the sweater fits perfectly. Apart from that, I love the detailed sewing instructions. Well done, Grainline Studio! I am pretty sure there will be more sweaters based on this sewing pattern, the next one probably for me.

Cropped Linen

[advertisement: unpaid links]

I made this sweater to measure on a request by my aunt. She asked for a white, cropped, oversized, long sleeved, 100% linen sweater to wear in summer. Here it is, a ridiculously wide rectangle with sleeves. I am sure she is going to love it as if it was black, I just would keep it.

The pattern is my own, I have used 414g of Schoppel El Linio, a chain-plied 100% linen yarn. It combines the classic linen structure and feel with a bit of elasticity due to its construction. It really is a pleasure to work with this yarn. Well done, Schoppel!

This sweater also was an item on my WIP Bingo sheet, the linen sweater. One more done!

Finally, a sweater for myself

[advertisement: unpaid links]

This is not my first sweater, by far. But it is the first sweater I love and wear from the start. It is made of beautiful Lana Grossa Evento, a discontinued cotton and merino blend in DK weight. The raglan pattern is from Phildar and actually was intended to have a woven back. I tried, but my yarn was way too soft and weaving knitted strips across the back did not hold its shape at all.

After a year or so of hibernating, I still wanted to wear the sweater, but it still lacked the back part. I somehow stumbled upon this Russian lace pattern and found it quite appropriate. The only tricky part was to fit a lace back into a complete but backless sweater. Well, obviously, I succeeded. And here’s a picture of the result: