I am still trying to destash my vast amount of colourful sock yarns by knitting colourful socks. The latest finished pair is a gift for a dear friend of mine who kindly asked me for a pair of blue socks. Here they are, 72g of Wolle Kunterbunt sock yarn in softline blue, knit up to a pair of plain vanilla socks in EU size 40. As far as I know, the yarn is dyed on Zitron, a classic German sock yarn. I really like how the different intensities of blue arrange in stripes although nowadays, I would rather buy such a colourway based on dark greys, dark reds or dark purples.
The next destash project this year is a linen bag. The pattern is Summer Fling, an easy to follow pattern intended for fingering weight yarn. I have used 136g leftovers of DK weight linen yarns from La Droguerie and Yllet. I did not make any changes, nonetheless the bag is pretty small. However, I like the result although it does not qualify as an everyday handbag. It is just too small.
2017 is the year of fighting my sock yarn stash, it seems. I have finished two pairs in a row, one for me, one for my boyfriend. My entrelac socks were quite an effort to knit and consumed 85g of Lana Grossa Meilenweit for a pair in EU size 39/40. I have read, a lot of people had problems understanding the heel construction. I followed the instructions exactly and a well-shaped heel was the result. However, these socks are worth the effort although I had to force myself to knit one row of entrelacs each day to see any progress.
My boyfriend received a shiny new pair of plain vanilla socks, knit in Drachenwolle sock yarn, colourway Inversnebeltiger. Surprisingly, the pair weighs only 86g in EU size 45. I really like the stripes of different shades of grey paired with jet black and am looking forward to knit the colourway Inversnebeltiger into socks for myself later this year.
Enough socks for now, I urgently need a different project type. Probably a linen handbag. Apart from that, WGT 2017 is approaching and I definetely want to wear something handknit again this year! I’ll tell you about my next projects soon.
This is a technique I wanted to try for quite a while. As I still am in destashing mode, I chose two balls of sock yarn leftovers to knit a pair of split socks. One half in green stripes, the other one in a pinkish variegated colourway. My version is knit toe-up using Judy’s Magic Cast On, has a short-row heel and is bound off in JSSBO.
There are several techniques to knit intarsia in the round. I have followed pumora’s tutorial, which joins the two colour sections by twisting the yarn strands at one transition and by a wrap and turn at the other one. This technique suits my knitting preferences well, so I will probably stick to it. Once you’ve got the hang of it, it is really not difficult.
My ankle socks have used 26g of fingering weight yarn per colour.
The destashing continues, this time with a pair of mittens for a dear friend. I have chosen the Kinos pattern as I liked the idea of showcasing a short row construction with stripes.
The pattern is well written and great fun to knit. I have used 65g of DK weight Merino scraps for a medium men’s size. You definitely should give this pattern a try!
This is all Rebekka‘s fault. If she had not asked me a few questions about the pattern, I probably would not have knit them. At least not now. But as my sock yarn stash is huge and requires urgently to shrink a bit, I found a perfect colour match to knit a pair.
The pattern is Slippery Slope Socks by General Hogbuffer, whose designs I like a lot so far. They are well written and easy to follow, even if the construction sometimes is unusual. I have used 38g of turquoise Lana Grossa Meilenweit Merino as main colour and 29g of variegated cheap sock yarn as contrasting colour for an EU size 39/40. I like Meilenweit Merino in general. It is quite soft although it acts like a true German workhorse sock yarn. I prefer it a lot from its sister, Lana Grossa Meilenweit Uni, which is just as scratchy as the standard Regia 4-ply. However, I love how the socks turned out. Particularly, as they were planned and knit as a selfish little treat.
When I recently was asked to knit a baby scarf, I instantly wanted to implement an option to adapt the size to the growing child. Of course, this actually is not a challenge, unless you plan to knit some fashion-forward design. While I still was thinking over several design ideas, Knitty’s winter issue was published, including the gorgeous Erin Goes to College pattern. With its superbulky yarn weight and enormous length, it is far from intentionally being a baby scarf, but it includes all features I was looking for. It is fashionable, can be secured around the neck and, with its many holes, is adaptable in its length!
Deep down in my stash, I found a single skein of blue Drachenwolle Merino DK, begging to be turned into this scarf. I have sticked exactly to the pattern, just using DK weight yarn and 3.5mm needles and knitting only five large cable repeats. Perfect choice. The pattern is well written, but pretty boring to knit. Nonetheless, I absolutely recommend to try it. The yarn is soft and the colour is beautifully shaded, but it reminds me a bit too much of cotton softness (I am talking about the same problem I have with Wollmeise yarns, here). However, the scarf turned out even better than imagined and the parents are super happy.